Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 3

Day 3 was a big day. 184K with 4,450m of elevation gain. The day started off right out of the hotel with the Col de L'Iseren (17K w/about 900m of gain).

Then down a crazy fast descent (no guard rails on these roads) to 700m. Where I began the Col du Telegraphe (12K of 7% to 9%) up to 1566m. From there it was a small decent to the town of Vallorie (1410m) and the start of the Col du Galibier. This climb is just over 18K long and starts off easy with 1K at 8% and then easies up with 3K of 2-3%. But on that day there was the worst headwind (I'm guessing 30-40mph) I've ever ridden in. At full gas, all I could get out from the engine was 10-12kph. Now that I'm totally turned inside-out, I start the real part of the climb. 10K of 8% and the final K at 10% up to an elevation of 2648m. Not really that hard of a climb, but with the wind, and it's getting stronger as I go up, this climb was a beast! By the time I reached the top, over an hour and a half to do the 10K, I was getting tossed around by 60mph+ winds.

When you're at the top all you can do is go down. That's what I did for the next 40K (down to 600m) and it started off like this.

Now that I'm 170K into this ride and all I can think about is getting to the hotel and finding something to eat! So, with only 14K to go, what better way to end the day than with the hotel being atop Alpe d'Huez.

From 600m up to 1815m in 14K, with the first 3K at 12%, cake! Remember, I just came from 40K of descending. So, for the first few K's I was in shock. Made it to the top in 54min.


BIG FLIPPIN' DAY!


-bosch


No comments:

Post a Comment